Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Few Words from Mr. Vitte

IN HIS MIND:

"Hmmm, what am I doing? That’s what I ask myself, every time I am running around the Rose Bowl, or on the treadmill. All I remember is getting a call from Semhar saying, “Hey, I seen a brochure, we are going to run a marathon, Lauren's down. Are you?” A few months later and two weeks to the marathon I think, what have I gotten myself into. Laughter, excitement, concern are a few of the reactions I get when I tell people that I am going to complete a marathon.

"Raising the money was the easy part, people are always willing to support a good cause, and giving money to support a serious problem isn’t something that you have to work hard to sell. Preparing mentally and physically is the tough task. It is a true challenge, and I always find a way to put myself in these situations where a task might seem impossible, but these are the things that keep my heart beating, I cannot live just going to work and then back home.

"In college I had to be active on campus, had to have a leadership roll, had to serve, and I still feel the same drive. Running my own business is a challenge in itself, and though I have made it thru the year, it is a hard thing to do, and then adding training to run this long distance has made things a lot harder. And let's face it, I have put on a lot of weight since my high school baseball days, and I am getting old, so this running nearly ever day is no joke.

"This is also a team effort, meaning having to deal with 3 different schedules, lifestyles, and expectations, at times it may have felt that this wasn’t going to happen, but I am excited that we will soon but at the starting line. I am very thankful for all the supportive people who have made donations and have given encouraging words.

"The next time I post a blog, it will be about me FINISHING the marathon and the experience of the whole trip. Until then...

G. Vitte

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home